A child piggy backing another child

Details on the Canada Dental Benefit

20/12/2022 | Employee Benefits

What is it?

A benefit that will provide dental care to children under 12 years old, who don’t have access to private dental coverage.

Who is Eligible?

Children under 12 who have no access to private dental coverage. There are additional household income criteria that determines the amount of coverage the child can receive:

  • For households with net income under $70,000 each eligible child can receive up to $650.
  • For households with net income between $70,000 and $79,999 each eligible child can receive up to $390.
  • For households with net income between $80,000 and $89,999 each eligible child can receive up to $260.

When does the program start?

The program was implemented December 1, 2022, and will be retroactive to October 1, 2022. The period of eligibility for expenses for the first year of the program runs from October 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 for children who were under 12 as of December 1, 2022. The second eligibility period runs from July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024 for children under the age of 12 as of July 1, 2023.

How do you Apply?

Eligible parents/guardians will be able to apply for the Canada Dental Benefit through the CRA’s “My Account” or through a CRA contact centre. The dental benefit is administered through the Canada Child Benefit (CCB), only those who are registered CCB recipients for their households can apply for the benefit. Here is more information Canada Dental Benefit – Canada.ca

What information will parents need to provide to receive the benefit?

  • Must attest that their child does not have access to private dental care coverage and that they will use the benefit to pay for dental services.
  • Prove that they have a child in the eligible age range and that the family income fits into the correct range.
  • Provide their employer’s information.
  • Provide the name of the dentist and the date of the appointment.
  • Must attest that the CDB will be used for out-of-pocket dental expenses for the child; documentation (e.g., receipts) may be required.

What do parents need to do once they receive the benefit?

Once a person receives the benefit, they must use it to pay for dental services — but if the services in that year cost less than the total benefit amount, the recipient is not required to return what remains.

Parents must also retain their bills for the work done in case CRA asks them to verify that it took place.

If you already have a Private Dental Plan

If you’re an employee with a private dental plan and you have eligible children, there’s nothing that changes for you. You will still claim your child’s dental expenses through your private plan.

If you’re an employer who provides a private dental plan, we don’t see any way that you can amend your plan to align with the CDB. The CDB is a new program that will likely see changes and iterations in the coming years and we will continue to provide our updates and recommendations as more information becomes available.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. info@capcorp.ca




Join our mailing list

Sign up to receive tips and information on adding value to your business.